JAMB Makes Important Announcement On Compulsory Biometrics For UTME Candidates - Naijaray
Connect with us

Education

JAMB Makes Important Announcement On Compulsory Biometrics For UTME Candidates

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says any candidate that cannot be identified through biometrics will be barred from writing the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

Fabian Benjamin, the board’s Head, Media and Information Department, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.

Mr. Benjamin spoke against the backdrop of some reported cases in some centres where some candidates could not be identified through JAMB’s electronic system to gain access into exam halls.

NAN reports that the 2018 UTME which commenced on Friday, March 9, in 605 centres nationwide, ends on March 17.

“We want to clearly state here that any candidate who cannot be identified using biometrics will not be allowed to sit for this examination.

“So far, over 450,000 candidates have sat for the examination and we have had reported cases where some of the candidates cannot be identified as they place their fingers on the machines for identification.

READ ALSO  “I wrote O’level exams 17 times” — UNIBEN Graduating Student Reveals

“Candidates sitting for this examination are not to be identified by mere registration numbers or names, but through the machines.

“We know that at the point of registration for this examination, candidates details are captured with live photographs as well as their fingerprints.

“So while going for the examination, it is only expected that candidates should be screened and identified using biometrics.

“This method should be able to call up candidates identity and so, there is no way a candidate will just come and mention his name and registration number and be allowed in without going through the right process,”he told NAN.

Mr. Benjamin said the measure was to ensure the eligibility of candidates and reduce cases of impersonation.

According to him, the board’s personnel are fully on ground to ensure a smooth conduct of the examination and attend to any technical hitch in all the centres.

The JAMB spokesman said: “We want to also assure the remaining candidates of this ongoing examination that they have nothing to fear as we have ensured that the cables, systems and backups in the various centres are fully operational and hitch-free.

READ ALSO  COEASU president gives update on strike after meeting with FG 

“So far, we want to say we are happy with the way the conduct of the examination has gone nationwide and we are hopeful that it is going to get better while it lasts.

“We remain committed to ensuring that the future of the Nigerian child is secured and we have put all logistics in place to ensure that this year’s exam turns out one of the best ever conducted in recent times.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Education

ASUP set to commence strike Wednesday despite government’s invitation


The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) on Tuesday said there was no going back on its planned indefinite strike beginning on December 12 in all the nation’s polytechnics.
Usman Dutse, the National President of the union, made the declaration in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.
Mr Dutse said the strike became necessary following the failure of the federal government to implement the 2009 and 2017 agreements reached with the union.
According to him, we are commencing our strike tomorrow as scheduled. Everything is set and there is no going back.
“There is an invitation for a meeting on December 17, but we will still commence our strike on Wednesday.
“I don’t know what will happen at the meeting or what they have decided, but until we meet with them, we cannot predict.
”I don’t know what they plan to present until we meet with them,” he said.
Mr Duste said the strike would be comprehensive and total, until all issues raised were adequately addressed by the government.
He said the union had issued a notice directing all members nationwide to comply and down tools by midnight of December 12.
The president said the union leaders would also send a reminder to all its branches, adding that there would be no academic activities in all the polytechnics until further notice.
Mr Dutse said the failure of the federal government and the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, to comply with the agreements reached with the union necessitated the strike.
He said the union had in 2009 signed an agreement with the government and also a Memorandum of Action in 2017, adding that none of the agreements had been implemented.
Speaking on the resolution reached at the union’s 93rd National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held in Yaba College of Technology, Lagos State on November 29, Mr Dutse said the strike was inevitable.
He said the union had issued a notice directing all members nationwide to comply and down tools by midnight of Tuesday, December 12.
He said the union would also send a reminder to its branches on Wednesday.
He listed the 10 point demands of the union to include non-implementation of Need Assessment reports of 2014 as agreed with the minister at the meeting of October 2017.
“They are lack of seriousness in the renegotiation in the union’s 2010 agreement; non-release of arrears of CONTISS 15 migration for the lower cadre; non-release of arrears of promotions and shortfalls in personnel releases as well as non-payment of allowances.
“Other agitations are non-payment of salaries in many state-owned polytechnics, non-payment of union check off dues, pension deductions and other statutory deductions from staff salaries to the appropriate bodies, continue victimisation of union officers,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Singer Tekno Poses With His Exotic Cars Amid Health Crisis


Augustine Miles Kelechi popularly known by his stage name, Tekno, is gradually gathering his strength again after damaging his vocal box.

TripleMG music artiste, Tekno Miles shares a new photo of himself showing off his unique fashion style while posing with his nice rides.

The 25-year old appears is a fan of Manchester United football club of England.

Tekno, singer-songwriter, producer, performer and dancer from Ebonyi State has struggled with his musical career this year compared to his successes in the previous years.

Continue Reading

Education

Another Strike Looms In Nigerian Universities As Non-Academic Staff Declare 3-Day Protests


Non-academic staff of Nigerian universities have declared a 3-day nationwide protest against the non-implementation of the agreement reached with the FG.

Nine months after the non-academic staff unions of universities suspended their nationwide strike, one of the unions said it is embarking on three days national protest, PREMIUM TIMES reports.

The academic staff, ASUU, have been on a nationwide strike since November 4.

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) said the protest is about the non-implementation of the agreement reached with the federal government that led to the suspension of its earlier industrial action in March.

The protest will begin on December 17 and ends December 19.

A spokesperson for SSANU, Abdussobur Salaam, disclosed this in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES Monday evening.

He said the protest was a decision made at the union’s 35th National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held at the Enugu State University (ESUT) on December 5 and 6.

”In view of the above, the National Executive Council of the Union resolved that branches organise a three-day national protest across the Country between Monday 17th and Wednesday 19th December 2018,” Mr Salaam said.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how three non-academic staff unions embarked on a nationwide strike on December 4, 2017, and suspended it in March 2017.

The unions are SSANU, the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU), and the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT).

READ ALSO  ASUU strike: Parents, Teachers state position 

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, had said then that the government will source for eight billion naira within five weeks to pay the striking workers.

The minister announced this at a resolution reached at a conciliation meeting on March 13, 2018.

But Mr Salaam said the delay in the payment of Earned Allowances had become a source of discomfort and agitation by members of the three unions, while it had also become a source of embarrassment for the leadership.

”The Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Education had informed the Chairman of the Joint Action Committee of NAAT, NASU and SSANU via a letter dated 9th August 2018, that approval had been given for the release of Eight Billion Naira being payment of Earned Allowances for Non- Teaching Staff in the Universities and requested for templates for the payments to the unions,” Mr Salaam said.

He said it appears the letters being sent to the unions are a delay ploy by the Federal Ministry of Education ”as the letters in themselves are needless, because the unions had always made their positions known since the irregular disbursement of N23 billion to ASUU in 2017”.

He said the status of the workers in the university staff schools remained the same despite the National Industrial Court ruling of December 5, 2016, which had ruled that the workers in the university staff schools are employees of the federal government.

READ ALSO  APC, Party Of Vagabonds - ASUU

”The members of staff domiciled in the University Staff Schools, numbering over two thousand, have been subjected to trauma, insecurity and denials of salaries, some going to upward of a year, a situation that the union cannot continue to accept,” he said.

Mr Salaam said it is unfortunate that the federal government has continued to show apathy and disinterest in all other aspects of the Memoranda of Understanding reached between it and the union.

”Members should be fully mobilised to participate in the protests, while branches are advised to carry along the media and the security agencies accordingly,” he said.

When contacted, the spokesperson of the ministry of labour and employment, Samuel Olowookere, said he would get back to this reporter.

He was yet to do so at the time of this report.

Continue Reading

Trending