EFCC set to interrogate sacked DSS boss Lawan Daura over alleged N17 billion fraud - Naijaray
Connect with us

News

EFCC set to interrogate sacked DSS boss Lawan Daura over alleged N17 billion fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is set to invite the sacked Director General of the Directorate of State Services (DSS), Lawan Daura, for questioning over an alleged N17 billion scam that happened while he was in office. Daura, who was sacked by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo following the siege to the National Assembly by DSS operatives on Tuesday August 7th, is currently being interrogated by the police. He was arrested by officials of Federal-SARS shortly after the termination of his appointment.

According to sources in the EFCC who spoke with Daily Trust, operatives of the anti-graft agency on Tuesday evening visited the police facility at Guzape Abuja where Daura was being held preparatory to receiving him.

“It is expected that the former DSS boss will be handed [to the EFCC] over by the police for further interrogation to explain how the N17 billion traced to the headquarters of the DSS was utilized,” said one of the sources at the anti-graft agency.
The source said the money was left behind by the Daura’s predecessor Ita Ekpeyong. It was alleged that Ekpeyong received N20 billion from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) at the end of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. Ekpeyong, it was also alleged, converted N17 billion into United States of America (USA) dollars, which he left behind when he handed over to Daura.

READ ALSO  I Stayed With Policeman's Corpse For 10hours After Killing Him - Traditional Ruler Confesses

The funds were reportedly traced by EFCC investigators as a fall out of discoveries after the $43 billion linked to the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) was found stashed at a private apartment inside Osborne Towers in Ikoyi, Lagos.

EFCC sources said operatives of the commission had been working on the investigation report that indicted the management of the DSS, but that the investigation was frustrated by Daura.

DSS agents, on the orders of Daura, prevented EFCC agents from arresting Ita Ekpeyong and sacked DG of NIA Ayo Oke on November 21, 2017, to prevent the investigation.

READ ALSO   Three suspected internet fraudsters and their fetish substances, paraded in Osun(Photo)

“So now is a good time to get Daura to answer questions in connection to the investigation earlier started,” sources said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Elegushi, Olofa, Others Storm Out of Iwo Day


The annual Iwo Day celebration in Iwo Osun State ended in an abrupt manner on Saturday as the royal father Oluwo of Iwo stormed out of the venue apparently in anger.
Others who left the event angry were the Oba Saheed Elegushi, the Olofa of Offa, and the Akarigbo of Remo.

Trouble started when a former Secretary to the State Government in Osun Mr. Moshood Adeoti led some of the members of his party Action Democratic Party to the event in a manner considered by many to be disruptive to the programme.

READ ALSO  EFCC arraigns Dangote staff for alleged N15m fraud

The monarch was said to have instructed that since the programme had started and with the venue jam packed no vehicle should be allowed to drive into the venue again.

However despite the directive a big bus which was branded in the campaign colours of a Senatorial Candidate on the platform of the ADP, Prince Dotun Babayemi, forced its way into the crowd and caused a lot of stampede.

Continue Reading

News

Revealed: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State


Those who claim to know Buhari very well, praised him for his Spartan nature, saying he remains the same man that he was many years ago despite presiding over billions of Nigeria’s cash.

Details of how President Muhammadu Buhari applied and got bank loan of N260, 000 to build his first and only house in Kaduna, have emerged, with some Nigerians questioning whether his Spartan life of 1984 when he served as head of state is still the same as the current Nigeria’s president.

The bank document, which Saturday Vanguard got exclusively, shows clearly that Buhari had resorted to taking a bank loan to be able to build his first house in Kaduna, having not been able to raise enough cash for such a project through all other means.

After applying for the cash, which came with interest, Buhari, a Major General in the army at the time, accepted all the terms and conditions imposed by Union Bank, which provided the N260,000 loan to him and laid out the conditions attached to the offer.

In the loan document dated June 1, 1984, and addressed to Major General Muhammadu Buhari, Head of State and Commander-in-Chief, Dodan Barracks, Lagos, the bank made it clear that the loan was approved for the building of his house.

The letter signed by one M. D. Yusif, who was the manager of Union Bank at the time, the bank said: “Dear sir, we are pleased to advise that the bank has agreed to renew your facility as follows: Building Loan-N260,000, has been marked for review on the 2nd of March 1985 but in accordance with the normal banking practice; it is repayable on demand and subject to review or withdrawal at any time the bank’s option.

READ ALSO  EFCC arraigns Dangote staff for alleged N15m fraud

“Interest will be charged for the time being, at the rate of 11 percent per annum with monthly rents. Commission on turnover will be charged at 20 percent.

“The facility has been renewed subject to the following conditions: All the security items have been holding before now continue to support this lending and ordinary account should be kept strictly on creditor’s basis while loan outstands.

“Kindly signify your acceptance of the terms and conditions of the renewal by signing and returning the duplicate copy of this letter,” M. D. Yufif, said.

But as it appeared that Major Gen. Buhair was desperately in need of the loan, he quickly signed and returned the letter to Union Bank, which immediately released the cash to him for the building project in Kaduna.

Although this gesture has given out Buhari as a man of Spartan nature, many Nigerians are unconvinced if he would have take the loan today, given that he has made a lot of money from being the president of Nigeria for almost four years and surrounding himself with people who are said to be money-conscious and ready to do anything to get rich quick.

However, those who claim to know Buhari very well, praised him for his Spartan nature, saying he remains the same man that he was many years ago despite presiding over billions of Nigeria’s cash.

A Kaduna-based politician, Aliyu Musa, who claims to have know Buhari from childhood, told Saturday Vanguard in Kaduna on Friday that Buhari remains incorruptible despite all the posts he has held and the passage of time given his austere background and fear of God not to dip his hands into public till.

READ ALSO  EFCC storms Doyin Okupe’s residence 24 hours after criticising Buhari govt 

“We, who are Buhari’s friends, are proud of him and we will continue to vouch for him as an honest, contented and sincere leader who is not driven by ill-gotten wealth and that is why he went for commercial bank loan to build his first house instead of looting the public treasury as most leaders would have done.

“We know that despite being Nigeria’s president at a time when everybody wants to steal and enrich themselves, Buhari will remain steadfast to his creed not to steal a kobo from the peoples treasury,” Musa stated.

But second republic lawmaker, Junaid Mohammed, told Saturday Vanguard that Buhari might not be corrupt by taking money from the public till but has thrown himself into the ring by surrounding himself with questionable elements, who do not believe in his anti-corruption war.

“We want Buhari to do away with nepotism and retainership of a cabal that does not work in the interest of Nigeria because corruption extends beyond stealing public funds to conferring undue advantage on a particular set of people and tribe at the expense of other groups,” Junaid said.

Source: Vanguard

Continue Reading

News

Two Children Killed As Car Crashes Into A Mosque In Plateau


Two little children have lost their lives in an unfortunate accident after a car rammed into a Mosque.

A J5 Peugeot has killed two three-year-old children after crashing into a mosque in Plateau state.

The victims were participating in the Muslims’ Friday Juma’at prayers at the Yelwa- Shendam Central Mosque, in Shendam Local Government Area of the state.

Witnesses said the incident occurred as the prayer was closing.

Abdullahi Salihu, the chief Imam of the mosque, told PREMIUM TIMES on the telephone that two women were seriously injured.

“Yes, the incident had occurred,” he said. “Two minors have already died while two other women were critically injured and have been rushed to a hospital for treatment.

READ ALSO  Elegushi, Olofa, Others Storm Out of Iwo Day

“I was inside Mosque when the incident occurred but later came out to see for myself what has happened. We also calmed angry youth who wanted to burn the car. The driver of the car is safe and nothing will happen to him, ” the chief Imam said.

The cleric gave the names of the deceased as Khadija Dayyabu and Muhammad Kabiru.

He added that the funeral prayer would be observed immediately according to Islamic rites.

The car, which was fully loaded with firewood, reportedly suffered a brake failure which led to the accident.

READ ALSO  I Stayed With Policeman's Corpse For 10hours After Killing Him - Traditional Ruler Confesses

Police spokesperson, Tyopev Terna, did not immediately respond to the phone calls and text messages to his phone.

Continue Reading

Trending