A Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court in Abuja on Wednesday, granted former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Babachir Lawal and two others bail.
NAIJARAY reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had arraigned Mr. Lawal before the Justice Jude Okeke-led court on a 10-count charge bothering on alleged fraud and conspiracy.
Lawal was accused of using his company to remove what he had described as ‘invasive grass” at the cost of over N272 million.
The former SGF had pleaded not guilty to the 10-count charge.
But during today’s resumed hearing, the court granted both Lawal and the two other bails in the sums of N50m each with one surety each.
Justice Okeke held that the sureties must possess titles to lands within the jurisdiction of the court, show evidence of payment of tax for the past three years and must reside within the jurisdiction of the court.
The trial judge also held that the former SGF and the two others must deposit their international passport with the court pending the fulfilment of their bail conditions.
Subsequently, Justice Okeke adjourned the case till March 18, 2019, after adding that both Mr Lawal and the two others must remain in EFCC’s custody until they fulfil their bail conditions.
- VIDEO: Beyoncé – BROWN SKIN GIRL ft. Wizkid, Saint Jhn, Blue Ivy
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks Dino Melaye, orders fresh election in Kogi West
- MUSIC: Olamide – Man ft. Bbanks
- See The Shocking Amount That Nigerian Senators Will Spend For Cars (PHOTOS)
- #BBNaija: Omoshola’s Romantic Scene In 2face’s ‘Officially Blind’ Video