WAEC Food and Nutrition OBJ and Theory/Essay Question and Answer for May/June 2017 Expo
WAEC Foods and Nutrition OBJ Answer
1a- a legume is a plant of its fruit or seed in the family fabaceae. They fruit containing a shed or a pod
1b) bean: kidney beans
•legumes are rich in protein
•Legume provide fiber for heart and digestive health
•Legumes help you manage your weight
•Legumes is easy to add to your diet
1. Long term storage of fresh produce (12
months+) without needing a refrigerator or
2. Environmentally friendly – using seasonally
grown and locally sourced fresh produce, re-
use preserving jars, reducing food packaging
and reducing food miles.
3. Save money by buying in bulk and
4. Flavour! Home canned food won’t contain
artificial preservatives, BPA or other artificial
5. Convenience – ready to serve in minutes.
6. Community involvement – both the canning
process and sharing with family, friends and
neighbours. Teach skills to the next
7. Gifts – nothing beats a homemade jam for a
8. Prepare for emergencies and/or illness.
9. Personal satisfaction. We love creating new
flavour combinations that you cannot buy in
your local store – and showing how to use
canned food in cooking dishes
•Prevention or delay of microbial
• By keeping out microorganisms (asepsis)
• By removal of microorganisms
• By hindering the growth and activity of
microorganisms (e.g. by low temperatures,
drying, anaerobic conditions, or chemicals).
• By killing the microorganisms (e.g. by heat or
2) Prevention or delay of self decomposition of
• By destruction or inactivation of food
enzymes (by blanching)
• By prevention or delay of chemical reactions
(By using antioxidant)
4bi) protein are essential for the nutrient of the body because they are building blocks of the body tissue and can also server as a fuel, it is mostly needed for human growth
4bii) protein is a nutrient found in food (meat, beans, milk) that is made up of many amino acids. it ts necessary part of diet for human growth
5ai)Recipe is a set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required.
i) List of Ingredients
ii) Amount of the Ingredients
I) Include a variety of foods from the major food groups:A balanced diet requires eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein (this includes beans and other legumes, nuts and seeds).
ii) Use a variety of ingredients, flavors and textures:Since calories, nutrients and fiber content of foods in the same food group can differ dramatically, good nutrition depends on getting a variety of different foods from within the food groups.
iii)Take proper portion sizes into account:When people are faced with overly large portions, they tend to overeat. Check the packages of foods you’re preparing to about serving sizes and follow the guidelines. Unless you intend to make a lot of food so that there will be leftovers, try to follow basic serving size guidelines.
6i)A recipe is a set of instructions that describes how to prepare or makeY something, especially a culinary dish. It is also used in medicine or in information technology (user acceptance).
Naijaray.com posts correct answers earlier than others